Last summer we saw teams across the country finding ways to generate revenue without games. Concession food offered in drive-thru, renting out the stadium as an AirBNB and events with no games.
Some teams even held fireworks displays at their ballpark where fans could drive in to the lot and watch last summer, like the Storm Chasers.
The Omaha Storm Chasers (Class AAA; Pacific Coast League) are combining coronavirus-caused social distancing and a traditional ballpark event with Drive-In Fireworks at Werner Park on April 18.
The event has been scheduled following consultation with local health officials, implementing guidelines that put community safety first. The parking area will open at 8 p.m. Saturday night, and the fireworks are slated to begin at 8:30.
Families are invited to watch while remaining in their cars in the Werner Park parking lots as the metro area continues to practice social distancing. There will be no concessions or restrooms available during the event, which has been scheduled to provide the community a few minutes of relief during the COVID-19 pandemic.
During the pandemic we often asked, what new twists will remain even after the the pandemic ends… and we are starting to find out. Here the Jumbo Shrimp are holding fireworks and a movie at the ballpark….with no game. Ah…the go old days of the pandemic are back!
In the end, it is a great use of the ballpark on prime dates with no games and another possible revenue stream that we might have missed if not for COVID.
SATURDAY, JULY 3>> Celebrate Independence Day at 121 Financial Ballpark (even if there isn't a game!). Gates open at 6pm with a baseball movie at 7:30pm, food, and fun… followed by FIREWORKS!
All presented by @NimnichtJax & Darley's Plumbing
TIX: https://t.co/BFjg5HH78i pic.twitter.com/CxQR515ueM
— Jacksonville Jumbo Shrimp (@JaxShrimp) June 28, 2021
- Beer League Pricing Just Went Up – Jumbo Shrimp Go Big with Expensive Ballpark Sampler Platter.
- Best of 2020 – Winner: Stadium AirBNB from Pensacola Blue Wahoos
- Yard Goats Connect During Lockdown – Yard Goats keep up their hot social media while in lockdown.
- UCONN Cutouts Have Gone to the Dogs – UCONN creates virtual dog park with fan cutouts.
- Squirrels Are Shooting Off-Season Fireworks
- Thunderbirds Lockdown Fan Appreciation – The Thunderbirds are finding ways to present their promotions online during the lockdown, including their fan appreciation night.