This month we Party in the Back with the CEO of the Philadelphia 76ers and New Jersey Devils Scott O’Neil.
Scott helped found TEAM BO (the Team Marketing and Business Operations Group) in the NBA. which helped teams build their business operations, marketing and game presentation. He now has transformed the Sixers into a model franchise at the top of the NBA on and off the court. The Sixers have been named “best place to work in Philadelphia” three years in a row from Philadelphia Business Journal.
On June 1st his new book Be Where Your Feet Are is available and he joins us to talk about the lessons he has learned on his pathway in sports.
Scott has some great stories from the rise in Philly, learning lessons from David Stern, and the importance of leaving your phone at the door in meetings.
Then Amanda Greco joins the Party to drop some wisdom from her 25 years in sports. ‘Smitty’ relates a couple of her favorite stories from Be Where Your Feet Are, including why a broken Coke machine in Philly nearly got everyone fired and why it is so important to pick up that napkin on the floor of the concourse.
Amanda gives her thoughts on the Chicago Mascot Swap in May, plus feedback about the Pittsburgh Penguins kids drawing promotion. She closes by telling Cudo (and everyone else) what they missed from the Atlanta Dream WNBA team and Ashlee Haze.
Thank you for listening and sharing the podcast.
- Last Month on the Podcast: Colleen Flynn from Boxxed Up joins the Party to talk about the suite of tools they have developed for mascots and teams. Plus Cameron Hughes on the importance of building traditions and much more.
- One Year Ago on the first episode of the Party in the Back Podcast: Assistant AD at Penn State University Chris Grosse returns to talk about sports during and after the pandemic. He shares the success behind Penn States epic Virtual Tailgate and more. Lots of great insights from Chris. Then Anne Wright spent years helping NBA teams refine their game presentations helps us decide on the best Water Cooler moments from May.
- Five Years Ago on The Gameops.com Podcast: The June Podcast with Jason Klein, Matt Heuer and Rob Wicall. Jason discusses how to create a Rally Mascot. Matt Heuer’s #TuesdayTip covers a valuable social media twist and former Spurs Coyote talks the value of not wearing pants.
- Be Where Your Feet Are by Scott O’Neil – Available now on Amazon.com
- Tommy Bull and Benny the Hawk Rock Chicago – Two great minds combine for epic mascot swap in Chicago.
- Giving or Receiving? Promos Go Both Ways – Promotions are not always giving fans something of value, these teams show how receiving something from fans can build a strong connection.
RSS Feed: http://www.gameops.com/feed
The Party in the Back Podcast: If Sports Marketing was a mullet hairdo this podcast covers ‘The Party in the Back‘. We’ll let someone else do the data, analytics, spreadsheets and budgets… We’re talking about the FUN: In-game contests, theme nights, mascots, dancers, social media, atmosphere and giveaways. Join us at the Party in the Back for our monthly discussion with industry leaders on the fun side of Sports Marketing.
- coming soon
Gameops.com Plus is our value-added membership site. It is a network to enhance the fan value of events. Three times a month we gather for a hour long discussion on an industry topic with a special guest to share their insights. Leaders like Claire Czerniuk, Jonny Greco, John Franzone, Barry Anderson, Colleen Flynn, Rob Wicall, Todd Bosma, and Kari Norvell have discussed topics from dance teams to creating custom music. November calls feature Mega-Promotions with Todd Overton from Fugu, Home Field Advantage with Jackie Maldonado and Andrew Johnson from the Houston Texans and a Roundtable where our members will workshop their own ideas with the Gameops.com Plus Network. Free One Month Trial is available now on Gameops.com PLUS.