New Year Eve is a game night tradition in some markets, including AHL’s Grand Rapids Griffins.
Despite the pandemic lockout the Griffins found a way to connect with fans. The team maintained their NYE tradition in 2021 with a Virtual Celebration.
NYE TRADITION CONTINUES
Griffins Hockey on New Year’s Eve is a West Michigan staple, going all the way back to 1996!
On December 31 at 7:00 p.m., join Griffins PA announcer, Eric Zane, as he keeps the tradition alive by counting down the top 5 Griffins moments of 2020 – all ending with our annual indoor fireworks show.
Great use of their social media channels and the team produced an entertaining 18 minute show. The video featured a lot of behind the scenes footage with player and highlights from last year. It ends with the same tradition from years past, an on-ice fireworks display.
We have been looking at teams keeping traditions alive, like the Teddy Bear Toss. While teams are dark it is more important that ever to find connection points and remind fans of the fun and value of game. This video from the Griffins does exactly that.
- Teddy Bear Tweak – Teams are adapting to new rules and safety measures for the popular Teddy Bear Toss.
- Marksmen Big Virtual Night – Fayetteville’s hockey team is on hiatus, but that didn’t stop them from producing a full show for their fans with this Virtual Opening Night.
- Pandemic Bear Success Story – The Griffins wisely celebrate their success of a drive thru Teddy Bear Toss.
- Bear Toss Alternatives – Thunderbirds and Stingrays give two examples of pandemic alternatives for the touch-free Teddy Bear Toss.
- Staying Connected – Fans won’t forget that when times were hard and you were struggling you still found time for your shared community.
Game operations and entertainment in sports is growing, lively and diverse world. We are pulling together to talk about all aspects of event production and entertainment, and to get better along the way. Join us to connect, grow and advance. Memberships include a weekly Huddle Zoom Call with industry leaders and network members. July topics include Branding with Greg Monaco (Fearless Brands), Contestant Prep with Todd Bosma (Portland Trail Blazers) and Mascot Character Development with Rob Wicall. Free One Month Trial is available now.