Rob Wicall fresh off his TED Talk on making moments talks about applying what he learned as a mascot and how to apply that daily. Then Cudo and Wicall look at several moments teams have been creating for fans in January.
Emperor of Fun David Raymond joins the podcast to look at a skit that got some bad press in Minnesota and step to avoid the dangers of people taking your comedy the wrong way.
Cudo talks about the new Water Cooler Moment section, the relaunch of the Blog, 5 years ago on the Pod highlights and nominates a team for for the Best of 2017 awards.
Click to play, or right click to download the audio file
Related Links and mentions from the show:
RSS Feed: http://www.gameops.com/rss/rss.xml
We welcome your feedback on the show. Thoughts, suggestions, or requested topics. We are listening!
Show Notes and Mentions
Time codes for topics due in part to the complaints submitted by Mick Rowan.
- 2:15 Rob Wicall joins the podcast
- 3:00 Rob talks about his TED Talk
- 5:00 Cudo introduces Water Cooler Moments and how they are similar to Rob’s TED Talk
- 6:20 Washington Capitals Canadian Heritage Night Review
- 7:35 Syracuse Crunch Post-Game Skate Clever Twist
- 9:30 The Coyote runs up Mariah Carey’s NYE gaffe
- 11:00 Bill Veeck quote helps explain the value of these moments
- 12:00 Rob shares how to add “Pomp and Circumstance” to skits to make them better and more interesting
- 13:30 Cudo sadly shares that he tries to have 1 moment a game, while Wicall explains he looked to create 3 per game.
- 16:45 David Raymond joins the podcast
- 17:30 David and Jon looks at Minnesota Wild Skit that got some bad pub
- 20:10 Buster Keaton as inspiration
- 21:30 Early Phanatic Skits
- 22:45 An alternate ending for the Wild Skit
- 23:45 How to make any skits better (Practice/Video/Review)
- 24:20 Being 10% off and how that can go very wrong quickly
- 26:00 The devil is in the details
- 27:30 Jon and Dave talk about how pushing the envelope is part of the entertainment…and why the Easter Bunny isn’t funny
- 31:00 Quick review of an older Minnesota Timberwolves Harlem Shake Skit
- 35:00 Cudo shares a blog post subject to get Raymond’s feedback on how it can help mascot performers stand out at auditions
- 42:00 David shares news on some new work projects, blog, podcast and the Mascot Hall of Fame
- 46:20 5 years ago on the pod review
- 46:45 Best of Nomination (Best Team)
Thanks to drunkdude69 for our fancy bumper music.
Gameops.com Plus is our value-added membership site. It is a network to enhance the fan value of events. Three times a month we gather for a hour long discussion on an industry topic with a special guest to share their insights. Leaders like Claire Czerniuk, Jonny Greco, John Franzone, Barry Anderson, Colleen Flynn, Rob Wicall, Todd Bosma, and Kari Norvell have discussed topics from dance teams to creating custom music. November calls feature Mega-Promotions with Todd Overton from Fugu, Home Field Advantage with Jackie Maldonado and Andrew Johnson from the Houston Texans and a Roundtable where our members will workshop their own ideas with the Gameops.com Plus Network. Free One Month Trial is available now on Gameops.com PLUS.